Friday, September 21, 2007

Weekly Wrap...

I'm not sure if the fall weather will ever arrive - I love fall. But one thing is certain - fall planning is kicking into high gear. Budgets, Annual Meeting planning, membership campaigns, Board Meetings, Chapter meetings...there's enough activity to show me that fall is here - even if the weather doesn't give it away.

Working in the non-profit world for such a long time, it's the yearly cycle, the predictable and the unpredictable that makes this profession so interesting and challenging. For many of our members I know you are in the same boat - others will be right here in a few months while you prepare for your spring meetings.

Keeping focused while at the same time balancing all the big and small details can be challenging, but for those who are good at it, we can learn a lot.

One way I keep my focus is to filter all my activities around the end goal - if something is distracting me from my goals, I try to deal with it quickly and then move on. I'm sure there are a ton of ways you all have for staying balanced and getting it all done.

I've seen you in action - I know you perform daily miracles - getting someone in the host hotel, getting that special meal request handled at the last minute, dealing with a difficult VIP guest or speaker, travel delays, the list can go on and on.

Share your thoughts on how you keep it all going without the proverbial details falling through the cracks......

No comments: