Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Biggest Concern...

So I've been thinking a lot about the question I posted regarding what the biggest challenge/concern is for you. I think, not surprising, for me it's budgetary. Being smart with my budget, staying focused on "desired state" or "desired outcomes" is hard - but critically important.

I find the greatest success sticking to this by using a filter that forces me to ask: what is the point of X? Whether X is an email, a postcard, a brochure, new web content, etc. If you cannot answer that question you need to get more information on the project. Try this filter on your job and let me know how it goes.

If you are contributing at a level where you don't have the ability to directly control your budget creation or spending there are ways for you make a difference. Make sure you always know what and why you are working on a project - this is easy to overlook especially when you are busy. Stop and ask the question - it will most likely save you a lot of time in the long run.

Tell me - how do you stay focused?

How do you contribute when you aren't the final decision maker?

No comments: